Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Eleanor Caton defend its right to criticize the Government of New Zealand 02/02/2015

Elif Shafak: I'm not a good wife. One can not do everything equally well | Pound
Elif Shafak is perhaps the most famous Turkish writer. Her books are distributed in over 40 countries. ling Her last book - "The Architect's Apprentice", is already on the English-language book market. She has won many awards, including "Orange Prize" and the Order of Arts and writing French. Her novels present romantic and dramatic stories whose action often develops in Istanbul. Is often criticized for neglecting traditional Turkish values. Introducing conversation Jessica Salter of British "Telegraph" with Shafak on the launch of her new book.
"When I'm in the middle of the novel, I can work during the day or night, morning or night, home or away. Comply with commitments ling to children. Often up in the morning and begin at 5:00, or write, when they lie down to sleep. Working mothers need to be flexible. "
"My husband is a journalist in Istanbul. Like many cities, but there suffocate. Novelists in Turkey are public figures. More easily find the freedom that I need in London. Life between the two cities is very enriching, but weakens marriage. All my energy goes into writing or motherhood. I'm not a good wife, but I'm OK with that. One can not do everything at the same time equally well. "
"I am raised by a single mother, which is unusual for Turkey in the 70 years of the twentieth century. My mother met my father and gave up his studies because she was in love. Until the age of 21, they were already separated. When she returned home, she tried to find a husband, but my grandmother stopped her. I told her I would take care of me while my mother finished her education. ling "
"I was raised first by her grandmother in Ankara, and then from my mother, who was a diplomat in Madrid. Environment in both places was radically different, which made me start to ask questions about gender stereotypes and to understand how the patriarchy. "
"Not enough freedom of expression in Turkey. If you write - whether as a writer, poet or journalist, you can get into trouble. Do not believe anyone who says that censorship is already ling gone. "
"I had a tattoo of an owl for many years, but remove it. Owls are very important to me because they are a symbol of wisdom. I wish I could talk. Maybe they can. I'm not a religious person. Organized religion for me means division of we and they do not like. Religious people ling show ignorance, as they think they are better than others because they have a certain faith. Atheists are the same. The best way is that of an agnostic. It enables doubt. Not everything in this life can not be explained rationally. We are irrational beings. "
"I ling do not like silence, as I write. There must be noise. Go to crowded cafes, airports or train stations - all places filled with life. Istanbul is a noisy city, so keep the windows open. In a very quiet library ling or in front of an empty table feel like a stranger in, if I occupied a strange place. I need chaos. ling "
"I'm ling curious reader and my reading list is varied. I love philosophy, non-fiction books about the brain and neuroscience. Attach to books, but not so. When I read, take notes, as scribble everywhere. Pages have stains from tea, coffee, characters that have lived with man. "
"I believe that as human beings we can be several things at once. Write in English and Turkish. When I write of melancholy or sadness, I find the words easier ling to Turkish. As for the humor, satire, black comedy - English. ling Before I wrote in Turkish. Now write in English, then translated into Turkish, and I change ling it to adapt it to my style. "
Books Elif Shafak here
Eleanor Caton defend its right to criticize the Government of New Zealand 02/02/2015


No comments:

Post a Comment